Wednesday 3 February 2016

Top Five Wednesday | Biggest Badasses


This week's Top Five Wednesday is Biggest Badasses. There are so many characters to choose from when it comes to this topic but I did notice that most of the one's I could think of were female characters, so I'll be interested to see everyone else's blog posts to see if you guys found the same!

1. Celaena Sardothein (Throne of Glass Series)
I can imagine that a lot of people will say Celaena for this list and I can definitely see why. She's a young assassin who's had to live through so much suffering, pain, and loss, and yet still always comes out strong. I know there's a lot of people who didn't enjoy the first book in this series, but the books get so, so much better as the series goes along. Not only that, but the characters develop so much that you can hardly believe they are the same people you read about in book one. Celaena is a fantastic character: witty, smart, fierce, and loyal throughout.

2. Neville Longbottom (Harry Potter Series)
There is just no way that Neville couldn't be on this list. Throughout the series he is bullied by classmates and teacher alike, called a coward, and is put down repeatedly, and, in spite of this, he stands up against his own friends when he thinks they're wrong, and takes Hermione's advice to stand up for himself. He attempts to keep the prophecy from the death eaters; fights alongside Harry at every opportunity; he is one of the only students who later stands up against the Carrows and Voldemort despite that meaning he gets tortured repeatedly; and he destroys Nagini/a horcrux so that Harry can defeat Voldemort. If that isn't a badass character, then I don't know what is.

3. Paige Mahoney (The Bone Season Series)
I recently read the only two books that are out in The Bone Season series and I really enjoyed them. I know many people didn't like them because the magic system too complicated, but I thought it was brilliant and not at all difficult to follow. Paige is a tough character who manages to stand up for what she believes in, whether it's against her worst enemies or those she thought were friends. Not only that, but she's also a fierce fighter and has an incredible ability. She's definitely one of the more unique female characters I've read and generally a badass throughout!

4. Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles)
I couldn't write this list without including someone from The Lunar Chronicles series, and for me it definitely had to be Cinder. She turns the story of Cinderella entirely on its head and manages to fight through everything, despite never having had anyone help her before. She is a force to be reckoned with once she sets her sights on something and is also incredibly loyal to all of her friends and to the cyborg community - particularly Iko! She is so resourceful throughout and never shows any jealousy towards anyone else. Such a brilliant character.

5. Rose Hathaway (The Vampire Academy Series)
Rose Hathaway would be described as a badass by pretty much anyone who read this series. She is the stereotypical female fighter that we see in most urban fantasies but I still love these books and her character. Although she can be frustrating at times when she charges headlong into things without thinking, she's also an incredibly strong fighter and protects those she loves, even if she has to go to extreme lengths to do that. I want to watch the film soon to see if they did the books any justice (especially to see how Rose is in the film) - has anyone seen it already and would/wouldn't recommend it?

Those are my Top Five Badass Characters! Let me know what you think and who yours are, or link to your post or video below so I can check it out! I'm looking forward to seeing other people's lists (especially to see which characters I forgot about!).

Just in case anyone is new to this, Top Five Wednesday was created by Lainey (Gingerreadslainey on YouTube), so that people can share more of their favourite (or sometimes least favourite) books in an interesting way. She creates weekly topics for each month so Bloggers and YouTubers alike to discuss books. The group which lists the monthly topics can be found here! And if you want to see more of my previous Top Five Wednesday Blog posts, you can click here!

4 comments:

  1. Agree with all of these but there are so many ones that did not make my list.
    If you are interested my T5W is here: http://powisamy.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/top-5-wednesday-biggest-badarses.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know what you mean! I'll check out yours now :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing the link - your list is great!

      Delete