Monday 12 January 2015

BOOK REVIEW: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

#1 The Mara Dyer Trilogy

Genre: Young Adult Fiction/ Paranormal


My Rating: ★★★★1/2

Goodreads Summary:

Mara Dyer believes life can't get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her strangely unharmed.

There is.

**Spoiler Free Review**

I had heard a lot of amazing things about this trilogy before reading it and I have to say I wasn't disappointed. As the Goodreads summary states, the story revolves around Mara Dyer who survives an accident and her friends don't. Hodkin's writing is incredible; both mysterious and creepy throughout the whole book. It is absolutely full of hauntingly beautiful descriptions, which will leave the reader with chills. 

The characters were just amazing. They immediately feel so real yet surreal at the same time. Mara Dyer is an unstable and unreliable main character with such a sense of humour, which makes the story both thrilling and funny. Noah Shaw is a character who develops so much, even within the first few pages of meeting him. I have to say though, I think Jamie is one of my utmost favourite characters of the book: incredibly sarcastic and down to earth, her is just what Mara needs in this book. 

The book deals with psychological, family, and relationship issues in such an incredible and eerie way. Mara creates a sense that everything you read is real yet nothing is. It is hauntingly creepy and the perspective of Mara even leaves the reader questioning their sanity. This is the most unique YA book I've read in a long time. It doesn't focus too much on romance but on psychological and family problems and the effects they have on people's lives.

I would recommend this to absolutely anyone, it is the most incredibly clever read I have picked up in a long time. I think Hodkin has become one of my favourite authors after reading only one of her books.

No comments:

Post a Comment