Friday 16 January 2015

BOOK REVIEW: Out of the Ashes by Lindsey Fairleigh and Lindsey Pogue

Out of the Ashes by Lindsey Fairleigh and Lindsey Pogue

#3 The Ending Series

Genre: New Adult Fiction/ Dystopian/Romance


My Rating: ★★★★

Goodreads Page

Goodreads Summary:

Hope brought them together, but it's now fear that drives them...and threatens to tear them apart.

Zoe and her companions succeeded in rescuing Dani from the Colony. But not without sacrifice. Beaten and broken, they head west, determined to leave behind the torment and horrors they experienced in Colorado.


**Spoilers**

As much as I had high hopes for this book, I genuinely didn't think it would be able to surpass the first two books, but I'm happy to say I was wrong. I found the third book in this series so engrossing and engaging that I just couldn't put it down. It far surpassed the first two (which really is saying something as I really enjoyed them!). If you want to see my reviews for After the Ending (Book 1) or Into the Fire (Book 2), please click on the links to read them!

I don't often have spoilers in my reviews but as this is the third book in the series, it's becoming more difficult to say what I love about these books without spoiling them. So again, if you didn't see the warning above, this review does contain some spoilers!

This book leaves right off where Into the Fire ended and I ended up reading it in one day because it had so many twists and turns that were gripping. I absolutely love the development of the powers and the dynamic of the group as they travel across the country. The first part of this book I found a little slower than the others but it really picked up and showed a lot more of the world that we hadn't seen before.

I spent the whole book just hoping Zoe & Jake and Dani & Jason would end up happy together. And the scene where Jason gives Dani the ring was so unexpected to me and I just loved it. I have to say that the characters were mostly so happy by the end of the book that I was just dreading something would go  terribly wrong for them. 

Although I was pretty sad at a couple of the deaths in this book I felt they added a reality which didn't quite feel as present before, as many of the characters just seemed 'safe' to me. I loved the introduction of the monitors which added suspicion to every character you'd loved in the series. This is definitely my favourite book of the series so far, the characters have developed so, so much from those we were first introduced to in After the Ending, and they feel so familiar and realistic. Although there are a lot of characters to remember, and I occasionally find I muddle up the points of view, they all add so much to the story. I enjoyed the introduction of Jake's point of view in this book, as well as a couple of other characters. Which meant we got to see more of their background and the thoughts behind their quietness.

The ending was pretty sudden but there was a lot of sudden twists towards the end of the book which I found brilliant and didn't expect. As always with this series, it ended on a cliffhanger and I'm just so excited to read more. I cannot wait for the final book to come out this year! Anyone who enjoys dystopian/new adult/romance should definitely pick this series up. And even if you didn't like the first book, I would keep reading, as they definitely get better as they go along.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the amazing review, Sarah! I'm so happy you enjoyed this book so much :) We start book 4 next week!!!!! So excited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Thank you very much for the amazing books!

      I can't wait to read the next one! So excited you both start writing it next week!! :)

      Delete