Wednesday 21 January 2015

BOOK REVIEW: Matilda by Roald Dahl

Matilda by Roald Dahl

Genre: Children's Fiction

My Rating: ★★★★★

Goodreads Page

Goodreads Summary: 


Matilda is a little girl who is far too good to be true. At age five-and-a-half she's knocking off double-digit multiplication problems and blitz-reading Dickens. Even more remarkably, her classmates love her even though she's a super-nerd and the teacher's pet. But everything is not perfect in Matilda's world. 

**Spoiler Free Review**

Roald Dahl is one of my favourite childhood authors and the film Matilda was also one of my favourite movies to watch. Sadly I never actually read Matilda as a child, but last year I was able to pick it up and give it a read, and I am so glad I did.

Dahl's writing never loses its charm and, even as an adult, his books are incredibly enjoyable to read. They are not just children's books, so don't be put off! They were definitely written for anyone to read and his intelligent and witty writing keeps any reader attached to his books. I read this in one sitting and it was so refreshing to read one of my childhood authors again. It's quite different from the film but it's just as brilliant. I also can't help but love Quentin Blake's illustrations throughout the book which bring the story to life.

I will always be a huge fan of Dahl and if you've never picked up one of his books before and you love to read, then I definitely recommend starting with this. It's a lovely short children's novel about a child who loves nothing more than to dive into a book. It's easy to read and so well written; if you've never read Dahl book, want to relive your childhood of Dahl, or have seen the film but never read the book then I definitely recommend giving this a chance!

A fantastic book for children and adults alike!

1 comment:

  1. Well yeah this is a regret that I too have that is not reading the book Matilda while I was a child and but yeah I do saw the movie and it is mine favourite one. Moreover I too have plans for Dahl day.

    ReplyDelete