Wednesday 9 July 2014

BOOK REVIEW: Allegiant by Veronica Roth



Allegiant by Veronica Roth

Genre: Dystopian/Young Adult Fiction

My Rating: ★★★★

Goodreads Page


Goodreads Summary:

The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready.


**Spoiler-Free Review**


Before reading this book I had heard it had a very disappointing ending and that many people disliked it. After reading the Delirium Trilogy, another Dystopian set of novels, and being thoroughly disappointed with its conclusion, I feared something similar would happen when I read this finale to the Divergent Trilogy. Thankfully, I was wrong.

I found the conclusion to this trilogy raw and powerful, and it reminded me what true Dystopian books are meant to be about. This is the first dystopian trilogy I have read which discussed the past of where the books were set, in this case the United States, and connected it to the 'present', allowing the reader to know how society became a dystopian world. It also gave scope for a world to be fixed, restored, and rebuilt.

I thoroughly enjoyed this trilogy as a whole and despite the final book leaving me a tearful mess, I really enjoyed the series. Many of the characters developed further than in the previous two books, which I loved. I was disappointed that some of the characters seemed to revert, and that some of my favourite side-characters were hardly present, for different reasons. Although the pacing of this book was a bit slower than the previous two, the action still picked up the pace and I personally found the 'slower' parts of the book very interesting and necessary to the plot. I think my main criticism of the novel just has to be at my frustration towards the two main characters and their angst and unnecessary drama which could have been solved by TALKING. But this is merely pointing out a frustrating character flaw rather than a flaw of the book itself. My other problem with the book was the dual perspectives. I don't mind dual perspectives normally but in this book it often became difficult to know who was talking in each chapter, as the characters sounded very similar.

Overall though I thoroughly enjoyed this series, and I would highly recommend them to anyone who enjoys dystopian/young adult fiction. It is fast-paced, easy to read, enjoyable and poignant all at once. As if you need any more persuading, Veronica Roth's companion novel to the trilogy, Four, has recently been released and gives so much more to the series!

No comments:

Post a Comment